The Council of the Association is responsible for determining the Association’s policies and bylaws. It meets at least six times a year or at the request of five of its members. Council consists of the Officers of the Association and representatives of the academic sub-units of the University. Members are elected for three year terms starting April 1 of each year.
Terms of Reference
Per Article IV of the CUASA Constitution:
- There shall be a Council of the Association responsible for determining the policy of the Association, and the making of Bylaws, subject to the provisions of the Constitution and to such directions as may be given at any Annual or General Meeting.
- Council shall consist of:
- the Officers of the Association;
- two (2) non-voting associate members representing retirees; and,
- Council Representatives elected from the academic sub-units as defined in the Bylaws.
- Sub-units shall be entitled to the following number of Council Representatives based on the number of Association members in the sub-unit:
- At least 6 but fewer than 20 members: 1 Representative.
- At least 20 but fewer than 40 members: 2 Representatives.
- 40 or more members: 3 Representatives.
- Sub-units with fewer than six members may join with other sub-units of their choice in order to have enough members to jointly elect one or more representatives.
- Council Representatives shall be elected by the members of the Association of their respective sub-units for a term of three years beginning on April 1 of their year of election. They shall be eligible for re-election.
- The associate members representing retirees shall be elected by and from among the retired associate members for a term of three years beginning April 1 of the year of election. They shall be eligible for re-election.
- The Council shall meet at least six times during the period September to May of each academic year. It shall meet at the call of the Steering Committee, President or when requested by any five members of Council. At least one meeting shall normally scheduled to follow the April General Meeting.
- The Vice President shall normally preside at Council meetings, and shall cast a vote only in the case of a tie.
- A quorum for meetings shall be one-third of the members of Council.
- Council shall fill any vacancies in the membership of any committee.
- Any proposal to alter the Association’s Bylaws shall be endorsed by 10 members of Council drawn from 2 faculties, and must be submitted in writing to the CUASA office 2 weeks in advance of a Council meeting to be placed on the agenda.
- The President of CUASA shall resolve any dispute of the interpretation of the Association’s constitution, subject to the approval of Council at the first opportunity – with the President voting only in the case of a tie.
|Abhijit Sarkar||Civil & Environmental and Electronic Engineering||March 31, 2025|
|Ahmed El-Roby||Computer Science||March 31, 2023|
|Aleksandra Blake||Library||March 31, 2024|
|Alex Kelly||Cognitive Science||March 31, 2025|
|Alexandra Pettit||Institute of Biochemistry||March 31, 2024|
|Amedeo D’Angiulli||Neuroscience||March 31, 2023|
|Anil Varughese||School of Public Policy and Administration||March 31, 2024|
|Armond Towns||School of Journalism and Communication||March 31, 2024|
|Ba Chu||Economics||March 31, 2024|
|Beth Martin||School of Social Work||March 31, 2024|
|Brett Stevens||School of Mathematics and Statistics||March 31, 2024|
|Brian Greenspan||English||March 31, 2024|
|Chris Motz||Psychology||March 31, 2024|
|Darryl Davies||Sociology and Anthropology||March 31, 2023|
|Devin Fraser||Business||March 31, 2025|
|Dipto Sarkar||Geography and Environmental Studies||March 31, 2024|
|Emilie Urbain||French||March 31, 2024|
|Eros Corazza||Philosophy||March 31, 2023|
|Fady Shanouda||Institute of Women’s and Gender Studies||March 31, 2025|
|François Brouard||Business||March 31, 2025|
|Gerald de Montigny||Retired Representative||March 31, 2024|
|Ian Lee||Business||March 31, 2025|
|Inderbir Riar||Architecture & Urbanism||March 31, 2024|
|Irwin Reichstein||Retired Representative||March 31, 2024|
|Jean-Michel Landry||Sociology and Anthropology||March 31, 2023|
|Jeff Manthorpe||Chemistry||March 31, 2025|
|Jody Mason||English||March 31, 2025|
|Karen Jesney||School of Linguistics and Language Studies||March 31, 2025|
|Kyle Biggar||Biology||March 31, 2024|
|Lara Karaian||Criminology & Criminal Justice||March 31, 2024|
|Leila Angod||Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies||March 31, 2024|
|Lesley Istead||School of Information Technology||March 31, 2025|
|Malini Guha||School for Studies in Art and Culture||March 31, 2024|
|Matt Gertler||Library||March 31, 2025|
|Michael Christensen||Law and Legal Studies||March 31, 2024|
|Mira Sucharov||Political Science||March 31, 2025|
|Omeasoo Wahpasiw||School of Indigenous and Canadian Studies||March 31, 2024|
|Paul Goode||Institute of European, Russian and Eurasian Studies||March 31, 2025|
|Ramy Gohary||Systems and Computer Engineering||March 31, 2025|
|Sean Landsman||Environmental and Interdisciplinary Science||March 31, 2024|
|Susana Vargas Cervantes||School of Journalism and Communication||March 31, 2024|
|Tashfeen Karamat||Electronics||March 31, 2024|
|Timothy Pettipiece||Humanities||March 31, 2025|
All members of the Association are eligible to run for vacant positions in their department. For more information about election procedures, contact the CUASA Office.
|SUB-UNITS WITH VACANCIES|
|Chemistry||Civil & Environmental Engineering|
|Computer Science||Earth Sciences & Environmental Science|
|Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering||Philosophy|